How can I compiling Fedora 5?

Sergio Silva sergio_adao at yahoo.com.br
Mon Aug 28 14:19:21 UTC 2006

Which packets are necessary for a compiling Fedora 5.
In my box are instaled :

kernel-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
kernel-devel-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5

This is enought?

Thanks

 wrote:

>> > Thanks, Brian. I am using FC5. And
>> >
>> > # /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/dvd
>> >
>> > /dev/dvd:
>> >
>> > Model=_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A, FwRev=1.04, SerialNo=
>> > Config={ Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
>> > RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
>> > BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
>> > (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
>> > IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
>> > PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>> > DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
>> > UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2
>> > AdvancedPM=no
>> >
>> > * signifies the current active mode
>> >
>> > #
>> >
>> > And now?
>> >
>> hmmm......i have never seen hdparm not return a current mode ...
>> intriguing.
>>
>> anyway ... the permanent way to save the changes is to put a command in
>> your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
>>
>> edit that file and at the end of the file put in "/sbin/hdparm /dev/hdx
>> -your-parameters"
>>
>> from the output of hdparm i would try "/sbin/hdparm /dev/hdx -d1 -m32 -X
>> udma2" where hdx is like hdc or hdd .. whichever device /dev/dvd is
>> linked to. i suppose using a symbolic link (dvd) to the real drive is ok
>> ... but i like to directly address the device
>>
>> that is the highest performance the drive will support ... what it means
>> is ... use dma, and use 32 bit access, and use udma2 dma mode. If the
>> drive does not perform properly with that setting, progressivley try
>> less aggressive settings....eg. -X udma1, -X udma0, -X mdma2, ... etc
>>
>> you are using a recent motherboard chipset, so i doubt you will need to
>> reduce the settings from what i have suggested .. though i must say i am
>> perplexed that hdparm has not indicated a current mode ...
>

> Put the line
>
> /sbin/hdparm /dev/hdf -d1 -m32 -X udma2
>
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and then
>
> the line
>
> /sbin/hdparm /dev/hdf -d1
>
> but after a reboot, in both cases, I get
>
> # /sbin/hdparm /dev/dvd
>
> /dev/dvd:
> IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
> using_dma    =  0 (off)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
> HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> #

What is exactly your problem? Do you have SATA HD? Is it a laptop?

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

"Quando falares, cuida para que tuas palavras sejam melhores que o silêncio." (Provérbio Indiano)
LINUXUSER #392316