What is the language "British"?

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Mon Aug 28 16:27:35 UTC 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 16:01, Ed Greshko wrote:
> David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Monday 28 August 2006 15:02, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> > I think you've got it the wrong way around. "Defence" is the correct
> > spelling.
>
> Both are correct.
So "dephence" would also be correct, would it? As would "Korekt"?

> Why is it that one side has to be "correct/right" and the other side
> "incorrect/wrong".  I don't get it.
The human brain has always been endowed with sufficient intelligence to be
capable of making allowances for incorrect spelling, intentional or
accidental. It can still dig out the correct meaning even if the text isn't
absolutely correct. Fortunately. So it actually doesn't matter a damn if
other nations choose to use incorrect spelling. I can tolerate it.

Now, if somebody were to alter some C language keywords in gcc, say
change "break" to "exit" and "return" to "sendback" that would really foul
things up. So we just don't do it.

Dave F

--
Registered Linux user number 393408