What is the language "British"?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 11:25:31 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 06:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Tuesday 29 August 2006 11:43, jdow wrote:
>> From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>
>>
>> > Then, of course, in a warehouse we have a fork-lift truck
>>
>> Not a fork-lift lory?
>> {O,o}
>
>A truck here is not a lorry :-)  Off-hand I can only think of the
> fork-lift variety, though I have a vague feeling that there may be a
> railway connection, as well.  Possibly a small goods unit?

Over here, they've long since graduated past the usual palette movers of
youre, I just recently saw one sitting in a warehouse here capable of
handling a 5 foot high stack of 4x12 plywood, two at a time!  10 or 11
foot forks 2" thick and a foot wide each on a frame that could be spread
at least 9 feet.  I'd bet money the machine weighed over 45,000 lbs by
itself.

But we still call it a fork-lift...

>It's amazing how long some of these OT threads get, but language does
>fascinate me.

Yes, me too.

--
Cheers, Gene