Installing FC-5 with LVM

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 29 12:14:56 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>> I don't mind the installation suggesting a partitioning scheme,
>>> but I think it ought to allow users to decide for themselves.
>>
>> It does.  There was a screen that asked if you wanted the installer to
>> partition the disk (deleting all partitions or all Linux partitions) or
>> if
>> you wanted to do so manually.  If you pick manual partitioning, you'll
>> see a tool that shows the current partition structure and allows you to
>> modify it and assign partitions and LVs to filesystems.

Thanks again.
I looked a little more carefully on the third installation,
and managed to go down the correct route.

First of all, I missed the pull-down menu
leading to "Create custom layout".
(Instead I ticked the box underneath to say
that I wanted to create my own partitions.)

Even then, it was not completely obvious what to do.
My LVM VolGroup00 appeared twice in the device list,
once by itself and once under the partition /dev/sdb6 that it was in.
I had to highlight the first occurrence,
and then click on "Edit" (my third choice, after "New" and "LVM").

After this it was plain sailing,
and the installation went without problem.

I still think the on-screen instructions could be greatly improved,
at least for one like me using LVM for the first time.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366