What is the language "British"?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 12:32:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 07:36, jdow wrote:
>From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

>>>What is actually a pain is having to get stuck with somebody else's
>>>paper size.  Worked in the USA for a company with the HQ in London.
>>> The USA is standardized on 8.5x11 will the HQ in London uses A4.  I
>>> think one can imagine the amount of work it can take to reformat
>>> product brochures so they can be downloaded and printed by USA based
>>> prospects.
>>>
>>>The difference between color and colour is nothing compared to that.
>>
>> I'll second that opinion.  It wouldn't be so bad, except when I walk
>> into Staples et all, looking for A4 size paper, they have absolutely no
>> clue that the US seems to be the only user of the 8.5x11 format.  And
>> they cannot grok what difference it makes at all.  Very very
>> frustrating.
>
>Try for Architectural A size. That's even worse to find than Legal size
>to find. (It's 12 by 9.)
>
>{^_-}

Its also larger than the average ink squirter printer can do, the carriages
seem to be optimized for A4, and making 8.5" wide is stretching them to
the limit.  For business green bar, I'd have to go out to the storage shed
and resurrect an old Xerox 1650ro, which has an 18" wide carriage.
Fastest daisy wheel ever made, 40 cps!  Also churns your butter while its
running, just bungee cord the milk container onto the table and hang on as
its 150 millisecond full sweep carriage returns are lethal weapons. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)