What is the language "British"?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Aug 29 12:49:53 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 13:10, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 05:54, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >William Case wrote:
> >> As a Canadian, I thoroughly understand what a pain in the ass it is to
> >> get stuck with somebody else's spelling.
> >
> >What is actually a pain is having to get stuck with somebody else's
> >paper size.  Worked in the USA for a company with the HQ in London.  The
> >USA is standardized on 8.5x11 will the HQ in London uses A4.  I think
> >one can imagine the amount of work it can take to reformat product
> >brochures so they can be downloaded and printed by USA based prospects.
> >
> >The difference between color and colour is nothing compared to that.
>
> I'll second that opinion.  It wouldn't be so bad, except when I walk into
> Staples et all, looking for A4 size paper, they have absolutely no clue
> that the US seems to be the only user of the 8.5x11 format.  And they
> cannot grok what difference it makes at all.  Very very frustrating.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

According to something I found on Google about International paper sizes,
Staples, "they say", has now started stocking A4 paper, under item #
HAM103036.

I thought that the US letter 8½ x 11 might have tied in with the old UK
imperial sizes, but what I used to buy as "Quarto", is only 8 x 10, which
ties in with the  8 x 10 photographic printing paper, That I, years ago used
to use.  There is one listed called "Medium Quarto" which is 8½ x 11, and
ties in nicely with US letter.

Ramble over.

Nigel.