Odd network problem

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Tue Aug 29 14:10:01 UTC 2006

My home network consists of my FC5 box and 3-4 boxes running Windows XP
or 98. Until
very recently there were no problems, but somehow during the updates in
the last few days,
my Linux box can no longer access the other computers on the network.
All the other boxes
can see/access the Linux box and can print through it, but when I go to
places>Network Servers>Windows Network>workgroup I get:

"The folder contents could not be displayed."
"Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: workgroup".

I wish I could be more precise as to which update caused the problem,
but I don't know.

One other data point. When I try to access System Tools>Network, I get
prompted for the
root password, but after entering it, nothing happens.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia