Samba: the network name cannot be found

Rodolfo Alcazar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Tue Aug 29 14:41:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 14:56 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have installed samba in order to be able to exchange files with a
> VMWare server, where I have a MS Windows virtual machine. I configured
> samba with Webmin and it was working fine yesterday. However, today I
> am using a different share directory. Surprisingly, I cannot open that
> new share directory (from MS Windows), as I always get the following
> message:
>
> «\\Localhost\mydirectory is not accessible.
> The network name cannot be found.»

Well, vmware has another focus to share directories, the so-called
shared folders. try accessing .\\host\

> Any ideas?

Yep.

a) try \\ip_number
b) try adding your hostname (must be the same hostname) in
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts
c) recheck your permissions, firewall settings, and so on.

Good luck!
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Netzmanager Padep, GTZ
591-70656800, -22417628, LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
http://otbits.blogspot.com
--
A hardware failure will cause system software to crash, and the customer
engineer will blame the programmer.