FC5 - mozilla help needed

Thad Nielsen paroikos at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 29 21:07:52 UTC 2006

Dean S. Messing [deanm at sharplabs.com] wrote:

> Thad Nielsen writes:
> : Dean S. Messing [deanm at sharplabs.com] wrote:
> : >
> : > Thad Nielsen writes:
> : > : Dean S. Messing [deanm at sharplabs.com] wrote:
> : > : >
> : > : > I'm unable to get Adobe `acroread' to run within Mozilla.
> : > : > Would someone who knows give me some pointers please?
> : > : >
> : <snip>
> : > : > Yet when I try to view a .pdf from w/in mozilla, I get nothing.  On a
> : > : > large .pdf, I can see mozilla taking time to read the file in, but
> : > : > then I just get a blank mozilla window.  acroread is not being started
> : > : > at all.
> : <snip>
> : > :
> : > : Dean, I also run an uptodate FC5 with selinux disabled.  I am running
> : > : mozilla 1.7.13-1.1.fc5 and AdobeReader_enu 7.05.-1 from Adobe itself.
> : > : I have no trouble opening PDF files from within mozilla.  Sorry that I
> : > : know nothing of the Dries repository.  You might examine your
> : > : /var/log/messages file for any helpful error messages.  You might try
> : > : Xpdf on the same PDF files that give you trouble in Adobe Reader.  You
> : > : might replace your Adobe Reader with the one at adobe.com.  Hope some
> : > : of this is helpful to you.
> : > :
> : >
> : <snip>
> : >
> : > I am running the same version of mozilla as you.
> : > I think this is the same acroread as well but if needed
> : > I'll de-install it and go tothe one from Adobe.
> : >
> : > However, acroread itself is working fine.  I have invoked it
> : > on several .pdf files from the commandline, including ones I downloaded
> : > from the Web that mozilla/acroread would not show.
> : >
> : > Question: Do you also have "mozilla-acroread" installed?
> : >
> : > It provides "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so" so if you don't
> : > then there is a major difference between you and me.
> : >
> : > Also: does your acroread run within the mozilla windeow itself
> : > or does acroread start up "on the side" in its own window.
> : >
> :
> : Dean, I do NOT have mozilla-acroread, so that is different.  I also do
> : not have the Fedora version of Adobe Reader but the Adobe version.
> : The Adobe Reader on my system is called from mozilla when mozilla
> : encounters a PDF file and Adobe Reader opens in its own window.  Hope
> : this is helpful.
>
> Thanks Thad.  That is very helpful, indeed.  I understand
> you don't have the fedora version of acroread, but at this
> point I don't think it is relevant since acroread on my system
> [...]
Dean, I think Aaron's reply will probably prove helpful to you.  But
to respond to your request:

  /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so
  package mozplugger is not installed.
Apparently I get these emails some time after everyone else.  But I
wish you well and that you can soon resolve your problem.

		T.