configuring a router behind a DSL modem and bittorrent

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 29 21:24:10 UTC 2006

I doubt my problem is FC - I apologize in advance if that's the actual case,
but I'm hoping that amongst this vast user-base, there's someone who has
encountered the same problem and since bittorrent is more and more a vital
part to the acquiring of FC, maybe I'm not too off-topic. Anyhow....

My network consists of a Westell 6100 DSL modem configured as a PPPoE
connection, presumably by Verizon, my provider - it arrived in plug-and-play
configuration, and I did almost nothing to get it up except plug it in to a
Windows box and run Verizon's installation disk. Behind the DSL modem is a
Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Both are configured to get their address via
DHCP, and both are configured to act as DHCP servers; the DSL modem gets its
address from Verizon; on the inside it's configured as a 192.168.1.X subnet;
my Linksys gets an address in that range, and is in turned configured to pass
out addresses in the 192.168.2.X range. All this works well for everything
I've tried to do - now, I'm trying to get bittorrent up, and I'm having
problems. Presumably, the problem is that I can't configure port forwarding
for the Westell since the only device it's seeing is the Linksys, which gets
its address dynamically from the Westell. I remember reading here some time
ago that the Westell had to be put into bridge mode, and then the router
could be configured to get the address from Verizon, and forward ports - my
question is, first, is that right? If so, does anyone have any experience
configuring the Westell 6100 for bridge mode? Are there other ways to make
this work? I've been reading the manuals for the two devices all afternoon,
and I've gone to the bittorrent faq to get info, but the section dealing with
this problem is sparse...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA