yum update os?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 29 22:38:50 UTC 2006

Marc wrote:
> Can I do a yum update from FC5 to the latest FC6?  How hard is that to do?
>
> Marc

It is possible. You first need to download and install the
fedora-release package with rpm, once FC6 is released. It still has
awhile to go for release. Test 3 starts Sept 11th. The release is afterward.

Next you need to run yum -y upgrade at a minimum. You should be at
runlevel 3 and in a terminal as root to do this. If the X server resets
while you are upgrading, a big mess happens to your system and the rpm
database.

Also, you might want to upgrade yum first before continuing. Then take
care of any packages that were removed or changed drastically.

I recently ran this process on an FC4 to FC5 system and it left an
/etc/fstab file with an entry which interfered with the mounting of a CD
as user. There were no major problems except for needing to update
packages which used hotplug, which was removed for FC5 and then upgrade
initscripts and other packages before I could get the upgrade going.
Upgrading from FC5 to FC6 might have other problems which need addressed
before you can upgrade. You might want to read the release notes before
attempting the upgrade.

I suggest downloading the media and allowing the installer for FC6 to
upgrade your system. The developers should have taken action to make
upgrading from FC5 to FC6 easier. They cannot catch all problems, but do
catch a lot of reported or discovered bugs.

Upgrading via yum takes a lot of time over my cable network. There might
be unanticipated problems upgrading with yum.

Jim

--
Moore's Constant:
	Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody