32 bit chroot

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 29 23:30:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 17:43 -0500, John Mahowald wrote:
> On 8/28/06, Tom Horsley <tomhorsley at adelphia.net> wrote:
> > (Actually I wonder if I could run yum under linux32
> > and avoid setting up the 32 bit specific repos?)
> >

> Only if using it changes the yum variable $basearch from x86_64 to
> i386. It might work, try it.
>
> While you're at it you could get someone to package linux32 for Fedora Extras.

It was on my system already, rpm sez it came from package setarch.
It's man page says it changes what uname reports as the architecture,
so I guess it depends on where yum comes up with basearch.

I'm kinda reluctant to try it though since I have no idea how
yum might react to a database with tons of x86_64 stuff
in it when it thinks the arch is now i386 :-).

Maybe when I'm about to regen to FC6, I'll see what it does
when I no longer care if my FC5 partition gets corrupted.