FC5 ACPI modules - how to add missing modules

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Wed Aug 30 14:03:19 UTC 2006

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Laurence Vanek wrote:
>
>>I have directories titled "fan" & "thermal_zone" but they are empty.  I
>>assumed it was because I dont seem to have a thermal.ko & fan.ko to
>>load.  lsmod does show "button" & "battery" acpi modules loaded.  wonder
>>what the deal is?
>>

> If you have the directory, but it is empty, then the module is
> loaded, but it did not find any hardware it could monitor. The way I
> understand it, if the BIOS ACPI code does not define how to access
> the hardware, then loading the module does nothing. This is why you
> have the asus_acpi, ibm_acpi, toshiba_acpi, and omnibook modules.
> They provide another way to access the hardware, if your machine is
> supported. The acpitool program knows how to access the settings of
> the first 3 of those modules, and give you the information.
>
> You can double check if you have the modules by running "modprobe
> fan" or "modprobe thermal" as root. If it finds the modules, it will
> return without an error message, but if you do not have them, it
> will tell you that the module was not found.
>
> Mikkel

I happened to look at an FC4 machine (i686 machine) and noted that
the kernel build configuration specified that the
    CONFIG_ACPI_FAN
and
    CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL
as "y" rather than "m".  I believe that this means that the code
for those "modules" has been made a part of the kernel itself
rather than as a "loadable module" from the /lib/modules/....
directory.

I am not very expert on kernel configurations, however, so perhaps
someone with more experience might comment on the correctness of
this statement.

I don't have the FC5 machine in front of me, so I am not sure
whether is has the same configuration.