What is the language "British"?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Aug 30 14:11:13 UTC 2006

Hi All;

This branch of the "British" language tree is taking the risk of turning
a little bit of linguistic fun into a serious political topic.
However, .....

On Wed, 2006-30-08 at 05:15 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Nowadays, looks like the same thing is happening.
> With all that damn testing, and "No Child Left
> Behind", teachers are just trying to "rat train"
> students to pass the tests.  No life skills are
> learned.  Reality sets in for many of these students
> when they try to seek higher education.  The teaching
> profession is a hard one and with more and more crap
> from the government, no wonder many teachers get out
> and many do not want to come back.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

The problem with schooling which you mention above is not just an
American problem and is not therefore the result of any specific
American federal or state or local program.  We have the same problem in
Canada, and I have heard and read about educational problems throughout
Europe.  In fact, it would be interesting to hear from the rest of the
world as well.  Betcha, they think they have the same problems.

First, I believe some of the problems with education is and will always
be just "old fartism".  "Things were better in my day."  "I used to walk
3 miles and back to school everyday, barefooted in the snow."

Next, I believe the problems with education, at least for the first 12
or 13 years, comes with the Unionization/Professionalization of
teaching.  For some reason, in education we, the public, got the worst
side of both.  I have heard the abusive language used by Teachers Unions
during strikes in Toronto, and then a month latter on the news heard the
exact same rhetoric in Philadelphia. The Teacher's Unions seem unable to
get higher wages for their members (which many teachers deserve), but
instead have won 'no work involved' contracts. (As a side bar, Ontario
Canada where I live, has the highest teacher salaries in the Western
World, but has not eliminated any of its educational problems.)

While the Professionalization of teaching has simply given the Teaching
Profession the right to tell parents, students and school boards to
"shut up and sit down" -- That, they, the professionals, know whats best
for us all.

Meanwhile, when parents demand improvements, immediately the 'left
loonies' get into the debate screaming for some new social engineering,
and equally as quickly, the 'right-wing wing nuts' start parading for
the removal of "Catcher in the Rhye" from school libraries.  The parents
legitimate concerns get buried and forgotten by the teachers while the
bun-fest goes on, nothing gets done, and teachers are never required to
thoughtfully reexamine how best to teach.  (As another sidebar, any
solutions that teachers do develop always seem to involve more pay and
less work.)

Programs imposed from politicians on high, is the outcome.  Politicians,
ie. non teaching professionals, come up with the best response they can
think of to the demands of their constituents for improvement.  That
usually means falling back on what they know -- "Old Fartism".

Now, back to the "British" language.

--
Regards Bill