Flash player for Linux (WAS: Re: The silly mess with Firefox 1.5.0.4's Flash plugin)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Aug 30 20:31:08 UTC 2006

Ski Dawg wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 16:34 +0100, M A Young wrote:

> Just a follow up to this. I just read an interview with the lead
> engineer for Adobe's Flash Player team. He says the Flash 9 player for
> Linux is expected for early 2007.
>
> Read the interview at http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/?p=96 (originally
> linked from /. http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/08/30/0531253.shtml )
>
> You can read his blog, called Penguin SWF, at
> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf
>
> He did say that they are currently working on x86 based Flash Player. If
> you want something else (alternative OS, like BSD or 64 bit or PPC) to
> use the Wish Form at http://www.adobe.com/go/wish rather than posting in
> the Penguin SWF blog.
> --
> Doug

There is also a work around that I came across that will work with some
sites that request Flash 9.

From

http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/14/flash-9-for-xubuntu/

1) Make a back-up of the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat:

cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat.bak

2) Edit that file:

nano ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

3) Replace the lines that say

Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63:$