Hardware inventory

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Aug 30 23:32:26 UTC 2006

    I thought I'd ask before reinventing the wheel...  Can anyone
suggest an application for Linux that can track hardware inventory
across a network?  I have several machines on our unix network and
things are starting to get out of control trying to figure out which has
what storage or memory or something as simple as, 'What OS does that
have again?'

    I've seen many different applications for Windows but they don't
know how to query a Linux box.  So I'm asking for help here.  Most of
the machines are running some FC version (1-5) and only two of them have
RH7.3 on them.  (Imagine my surprise when I manually scanned the network
this afternoon...RH7.3??  Badly in need of an upgrade.)

    Anyway, I'd like to be able to have this beast track hardware on
each machine and possibly also what services they provide (though some
of that will have to be manually entered as some machines serve specific
services (for specific domains) while others don't.)  If it can scan the
network and query each machine for data, that'd be a plus, however if
that's not possible, I'll make do.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.