Flash player for Linux (WAS: Re: The silly mess with Firefox 1.5.0.4's Flash plugin)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 02:02:53 UTC 2006

Robin Laing wrote:

> There is also a work around that I came across that will work with some
> sites that request Flash 9.
>
> From
>
> http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/14/flash-9-for-xubuntu/
>
> 1) Make a back-up of the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat:
>
> cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat.bak
>
> 2) Edit that file:
>
> nano ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
>
> 3) Replace the lines that say
>
> Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63:$

> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r63:$

Thanks for the trick. The bothersome site that distracted the kids to
use Linux was the disneychannel.com site. The site came up with the
edited file. Firefox worked somewhat but needed the old killall -9
firefox-bin after some clicking. What features they use that require
Flash 9 will always be a mystery to me.

Anyway, I'm assamed to inform a kid that Windows can go to this site but
Linux cannot. Hopefully a genuine Flash 9 version hits Linux soon. I
don't want the kids corrupted into using windows.

Jim

--
You could live a better life, if you had a better mind and a better body.