Flash player for Linux (WAS: Re: The silly mess with Firefox 1.5.0.4's Flash plugin)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 03:23:57 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:

>> Anyway, I'm ashamed to inform a kid that Windows can go to this site
>> but Linux cannot. Hopefully a genuine Flash 9 version hits Linux soon.
>> I don't want the kids corrupted into using windows.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> I agree that windows is corruption, but if a website is something that
> you CAN'T live without, just use wine to install firefox and flash 9. It
> works Just as good as under linux. I seem to recall having some ugly
> fonts to start with, so just play around with the firefox preferences
> (specifically tools>options>content>advanced) and use the Arial font
> instead of Times New Roman. If you REALLY want to fool somebody, you can
> install a firefox theme (noia and phoenity are my favorites) and put a
> simple bash script in you $HOME/bin (or anywhere else, just make sure
> that it is the FIRST entry in the $PATH variable) that looks like this:
> #!/bin/bash
> wine $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program\ Files/Mozilla\
> Firefox/firefox.exe $@
>
> Now the firefox in the Kmenu (or the applications menu in GNOME) will
> run the wine firefox instead of the native one. Test it with something
> like 'firefox kde.org' to see if it works. Now nobody can tell the
> difference. I don't know if wine does sound without using winecfg first,
> so you might have to do that, too. For things like embedded video, just
> use a native linux browser because WMP and Quicktime don't do great
> under wine (and I never tried it with wine firefox either ;-)
> Hope you find some of this useful!
> -Steven

Thanks for the tip. I have this really old windows version mahjong's
game which the wife, daughter and granddaughter like to play. It runs
fine in wine but does not create a desktop icon. Your suggestions will
help with getting this game to show an ICON for their ease of usage.

Regarding Disney, I would not want to emulate a program that is
available for Linux just to run Flash 9. There should already be a Linux
version of Flash 9 available. I might try it for the visual effect or
for the TNT and "The Closer" website goodies.

Thanks,
Jim

--
It's really quite a simple choice: Life, Death, or Los Angeles.