Gnome Disapeared from the boot menu

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 13:13:05 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Guillermo Garron wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just missed my Gnome from the boot menu, i only have KDE as option,
> >
> > any clues?
> > sorry i can not give you any more details, but i really don't know
> > where to start.
> >
> > Will i have to remove and reinstall all Gnome? hope not it will take
> > my lot of time on the internet :(
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Guillermo.
> >

> You can use 'switchdesk gnome' in a terminal as a regular user to switch
> the default desktop to gnome.
>
> Regarding the missing entry for gnome in the display manager, the
> problem most likely is within the display manager itself. There are
> three that I know of, xdm, gdm and kdm. I believe removing gdm will make
> kdm as the display manager.
>
> If gnome is messed up, running
> yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
> might pull in the missing pieces.
>
> I tried it on my system and only gnome-screesaver and hal-gnome was
> pulled in. I canceled the upgrade request and just installed hal-gnome.
> The one package is intentional. The other does not have a bad reputation
>   yet for me.
>
> Anyway, it will not reinstall already installed rpms, just the missing rpms.
>
> Jim
Thank you Jim

I think i have found the problem, yesterday i have installed and
deinstalled some programs (in order to make yum update faster) and i
think i messed up the whole think
look at this below (comes from my WatchLog)

Packages Installed:
    ghostscript-fonts.noarch 5.50-13.1
    evince.i386 0.5.1-3
    libgnomeprint22.i386 2.12.1-4.2