Seven Percent

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 31 22:06:46 UTC 2006

> I'll never understand what Ubuntu has that other distributions
> don't.

I haven't run Ubuntu, but just glancing at the web page after
this thread started, I see one thing that makes it seem
very appealing: It appears to be only one distribution.
No confusing "enterprise", "workstation", "desktop",
"consumer", "commercial" qualifiers on 16,721 different
flavors of the product with different confusing levels
of support. Redhat is bad enough along these lines,
but SUSE is just insane with all their SLED and SLES,
and desktop and enterprise and open versions (and the
CD media having different content than the DVD media
which is different in the shrink wrap box than it is on
the ISO downloads and they are all different than
the network install - my suspicion is the folks
at SUSE have no idea what is in all their releases :-).

With Ubuntu there appears to be just one distribution, and you can
buy commercial support or not, but it is all the same.

No suspicions that the free users are just beta testing
the commercial system, or the commercial users have access
to secret goodies. Any updates fix bugs for both at the
same time.

No confusing decisions to make about which distribution is
the one you need. I can see why it would be attractive.