Seven Percent

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Thu Aug 31 23:03:39 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
>> I'll never understand what Ubuntu has that other distributions
>> don't.

[snip]

> With Ubuntu there appears to be just one distribution, and you can
> buy commercial support or not, but it is all the same.
>
> No suspicions that the free users are just beta testing
> the commercial system, or the commercial users have access
> to secret goodies. Any updates fix bugs for both at the
> same time.
>
> No confusing decisions to make about which distribution is
> the one you need. I can see why it would be attractive.

Actually there are 4 'buntus, Ubuntu (Gnome desktop), Kubuntu (KDE),
Xubuntu (XFCE), and Eubuntu (I don't know what this is). I've tried U,
K, and X and they're all superficially very nice. For "Aunt Tilly" who
wants to read email and browse the web they're all you need. And my
laptop wireless worked without tweaking!

But be prepared for a learning curve if you're indoctrinated in "the
RedHat way" of system administration. And the package tools (synaptic
and adept) look really slick, until you actually try to use them.

I'm sure that both distros can learn something from the other.

Regards,

John