SUG: Automatic RPM database verification and repair

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 1 03:23:53 UTC 2006

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 9:22 PM -0500 11/30/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> something is not as it should be with either rpm, yum or the
>> rpmdb where information is not consistent from yum or rpm.
>
> This is being vigorously discussed by the developers in a couple of places,
> and will probably be tracked down soon.

I'm glad that they are working hard to get this issue resolved.

>> Package attempted to install are below, They never got to the cleanup
>> phase and bombed out in midstream somewhere.
>
> It's probably not the fault of the specific packages.  I see there were
> quite a few of them to clean up.

If anything stood out with the hangs, it seemed to be with packages
which had elaborate %post scripts to perform and the problem seemed to
happen when the installer program started to install the next rpm in the
transaction. I'm  probably imagining this as a condition by observation
but it seems to be the case in at least two of the most recent
transaction failures for FC6.

Jim

--
Work without a vision is slavery, Vision without work is a pipe dream,
But vision with work is the hope of the world.