Duplicating DVDs

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Dec 4 14:58:32 UTC 2006

Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to duplicate some DVDs that I have just mastered.  Using a FC4
> machine, k3b won't do it - it reads 2Mb then complains and won't eject
> the disk without a manual 'eject' call.  How can I simply duplicate
> a straightforward video DVD that I have just created myself ?

Assuming you have the ISO image you created, just burn it:
   growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=my-dvd.iso

In general GUI tools which do little but call command line tools make it
hard to get to the features of the command line tools :-(

On the other hand, I wish I could find a tool which simplified taking
15-20 short training clips and making them into a DVD (or SVCD) with a
title and blurb for each one. XML is a great language for computers, not
humans.

If you have no image, but a DVD, just read the ISO back to disk. Use
"isoinfo -d -i /dev/dvd" and note the number of blocks, then dd the info
to a file:
   dd if=/dev/dvd bs=2k count=BLOCKS_FROM_ISOINFO of=my-dvd.iso

All pretty simple from command line.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc