Copy EVERYTHING

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Tue Dec 5 04:14:09 UTC 2006

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 05Dec2006 10:18, Hadders <fedora at workingwithit.com> wrote:
> | Then I'll mount the old partitions and run the following command I which
> | got from an earlier email
> | http://pj.freefaculty.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view.pl/Linuxtips/CopyEntireFilesystemsExactly
> |
> | > cd /oldpart;  find . -xdev | cpio -padm /newpart
> |
> | Is it really as easy as that to copy everything?
>
> Yes. Rsync will do it too, and variations on the above command using tar
> instead of cpio.  But anything that copies every file and directory and
> preserves all the ownerships and permissions will do.

Thanks. I'm looking to copy everything as I'm migrating disks. I just
want to get everything over to the new disk/partitions, none of the user
ids are changing so keeping ownership is essential.
I'm not looking to upgrade to FC6, just shuffle sideways.

I figure the only things I'll have to do is reconfigure any mappings in
/etc/fstab that don't use Labels and run Grub again with new config
settings to reference the SATA container.