Directory Size problem

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Wed Dec 6 01:19:43 UTC 2006

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
>>
>> Here's the output of the strace.

Looks perfectly normal as far as I can tell, right up to the point where
it prints the wrong answer ;-)

> Curious!  There's only one relevant stat(), so the size is definitely
> coming from the directory.  Try using that "stat" command line tool:
>
> stat /var/spool/mqueue

Yes the stat might be helpful--can't hurt.

Is this an older system by any chance? Googling around, it seems there
were some rough spots where the kernel had added system calls that could
handle large files but glibc didn't match, which could lead to such an
error. But that was quite a while ago (2.2 kernel era? Probably
pre-Fedora now that I think about it).

My money is still on a filesystem problem.

<Joe