new member - email outbound problem

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 7 01:09:38 UTC 2006

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> oops! I was a tad confused. *I* use Thunderbird - the dial-up unit has
> Evolution. But, I did try Thunderbird (just to see if I could get it
> working) - no joy.
>
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> There are two ways to do it. One is to let Thunderbird to both get
>> your email, and send it. It is easy to set up. You can find step by
>> step guides by using the help menu.
>
> Yep - that's the way I had it (with Evolution, as noted above).
>
> Evo didn't give any clues regarding why it failed to send emails.
> Thunderbird did: it mentioned something about the relay.
Exact error message would be nice. But relay is a setting many smtp mail
servers have these days, to ensure that not just anybody can send email
through the particular mail server ("open mail relay"). The setting
limits spam being sent using your isp's mail server; without it isp's
often get used to send spam, and hence get blacklisted - meaning that no
email can get through.

eg: it is likely that enter.net mail server will only accept smtp
outbound connections from users within their network (generally from any
type of connection adsl/dialup/cable whatever).

If your dialup provider is different, then you need to configure
outbound email to go via the different provider's smtp server.

In thunderbird you can set up two or more outgoing mail (smtp) server
configs and choose between which one you will send to by setting the
default. Possibly the same with evolution.

At a lower level, wireshark network analyzer might give you a clearer
picture, but also telnet mail.whomever.com 25 and then help can give you
an idea of whether there is anything blocking connection to the smtp
server {quit or ctrl-] to exit the telnet session}.

DaveT.