xawtv and framebuffer address (was: Show-stopper for me - partially solved)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Dec 9 13:48:12 UTC 2006

On 12/9/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> Anyone have any other ideas on how to determine the framebuffer
> address?

After more searching, I found this:

[...]
Re: nvidia-8756: xawtv broken
Finding the base address was part of my extremely-hackish workaround
for this bug (I hardcoded the base address into the X V4L driver).
This is obviously a REALLY BAD idea, but it does work.

Basically, you figure out which PCI bus:slot.function your device is,
then look in your /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:<that
bus:slot.function>/resource file. That will list all memory ranges
that your video card has reserved. One of them should have a size that
corresponds to your amount of video RAM; use the first field on this
line. (The first field is the start address, the second field is the
end address, and the last field is a set of flags.)
[...]

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1008836

In my case, it would be this file:

    /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:0a.0/video4linux\:video1/device/resource

and I am guessing this value:

    0x00000000f0000000

running

    $ v4l-conf -a 0x00000000f0000000