FireFox, Epiphany and Totem?

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 9 18:42:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:55:21 -0500, William Case wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I have ripped totem completely off my machine in order to use MPlayer as
> my browser's plugin.  Couldn't Tools or Preferences include a choice of
> plugins so that I could use one of many available, rather than have to
> select by yum?  Is this too difficult for some reason?  If others want
> it, I will submit a 'features request' to FireFox and/or Epiphany.
> --
> Regards Bill

Yes, I'd like a feature like that. I'd like a feature to allow me to
make Firefox to forget about totem completely.

But...

In the past, you could tell mozilla how to handle a media file. They
changed in Firefox, but there's a way to bring that feature back. In
Firefox, type about:config at the url and find

browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions

Double click on it to set it to false. Then under
Edit->Preferences->Downloads you should see all the media types and
(theoretically) you could change the player. I didn't mess with that but
it might just be the feature we want.