cpu overheating

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 02:15:05 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Mike Chalmers wrote:
>

>>I like Linux, alot. I mean alot. I like what it stands for (besides
>>the corporations). But my CPU has never overheated. I am pretty sure
>>that it is not my hardware. It could be a bug in Linux. The kernel
>>could be be sending incorrect frequencies to the hardware or something
>>like that.
>

> Hummmm....  Something like that happened to me years ago...  Let me think.
> Oh, right.....

[snip]

It is a well-known fact that faulty software can overheat CPUs.
You might investigate the GIMPS which has a test program intended
specifically to ascertain whether it can run on a machine, or
will in fact cause it to overheat. If he somehow got Linux or some
part of it into a tight loop due to a software defect, it might very
well have caused the overheating.

Don't toss this aside lightly. Give it due consideration. It is
likely not a fault of Linux, but don't just disregard this.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.