Cannot Mount Volume

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 13 03:53:26 UTC 2006

Norm wrote:
> Recently I have had a problem mounting my Flash drive
> I  am using core 6 fully patched. after the original problem with core 6
> not automatically mounting a flash drive when it booted to level 5  a
> new patch removed that problem now it seems to have returned in a new way.
> I can mount the drive using a variety of techniques from command line
> options to log on as root, log out and log on as a user.
> It is only when I log on as a user directly from a boot that I have the
> problem (it started last week).  As I am in the process of setting up a
> laptop for my 84 year old father for Christmas I don't want to deal with
> explaining command line or logging on as a root first.
> When I open "computer" as  a user and then attempt to open the flash
> drive the error message I get is
> "Cannot mount Volume
> Error org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.AccessDenied.
> Details
> A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
> message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file(rejected
> message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" Member "mount"
> error name"(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
>  From what I can determine it is not associated with SELinux and even
> after I tried a fresh install using default install settings the same
> problem occurred. Have others had a similar problem recently?
Norm, just for some reference {with fc6 updated this morning}, I plugged
in my usb stick, while having a terminal open running:
# tail -f /var/log/messages
and see:

Dec 13 14:43:33 davidtdesktop kernel: usb 3-1: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 3
Dec 13 14:43:33 davidtdesktop kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen
from 1 choice
Dec 13 14:43:33 davidtdesktop kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB
Mass Storage devices
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel:   Vendor: USBDisk   Model: RunDisk
           Rev: 1.00
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: SCSI device sda: 998800 512-byte
hdwr sectors (511 MB)
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write
through
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: SCSI device sda: 998800 512-byte
hdwr sectors (511 MB)
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write
through
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel:  sda: sda1
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi
removable disk sda
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic
sg0 type 0
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop kernel: SELinux: initialized (dev sda1,
type vfat), uses genfs_contexts
Dec 13 14:43:38 davidtdesktop hald: mounted /dev/sda1 on behalf of uid 500
---
and nautilus opens showing the contents of the stick.

What do you get ?

What about any messages about dbus ?
# grep dbus /var/log/messages

DaveT.