New Installation cannot view users table

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Tue Dec 19 22:50:28 UTC 2006

Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 6 and even though I selected mysql to be
> installed I cannot get it to run properly.
>
> The output of: <rpm -qa|fgrep mysql> is ...
>
> libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.8.1a-1.2.2
> mysql-server-5.0.27-1.fc6
> mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12-2.2
> mysql-5.0.27-1.fc6
>
> The output of </etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld status> is...
>
> mysqld (pid 23491) is running...

So mysql seems to be running.

> I do enter with <mysql -u root>
> mysql> show databases;
> +--------------------+
> | Database           |
> +--------------------+
> | information_schema |
> | test               |
> +--------------------+
> 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This is a bit weird. Seems like the mysql database is missing.

> mysql> use user
> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'user'
> mysql> use users
> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'users'

Why would this work? There is no user or users database by default.

I would suggest the following:
1. Stop mysql (service mysqld stop)
2. Reinitialize main databases (mysql_install_db)
3. Next time don't drop the mysql database, it is actually needed :)