How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 16:14:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 05:42 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 23:13 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> > Mine did the very same thing until I closed my browser and started it up
> > again, then I passed with flying colors. I use the jre...bin file
> > instead of the rpm. As I've written, I stick it in /opt. Then I chmod
> > 755 the file (as root), execute it, it unpacks into it's directory and
> > then I link that directory to /opt/java. My links in the mozilla /
> > firefox and ~/.mozilla all point
> > to: /opt/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >
> > Next time I update I need only change one link. Nifty... works. I just
> > don't trust java and rpm in the same breath, not yet. Ric
> ----
> with that kind of logic, why bother using an rpm distribution at all?

I'm afraid you are not getting what I'm putting down here, and blowing
it completely out of proportion. I use Stanton Finley's method of
installing java, not the rpm method for installing it. "Same breath" as
in "together". What does that have to do with using the rest of the
rpms? I hope that clears it up. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net