storing root password rpm spec file

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Dec 21 16:44:59 UTC 2006

Actually, if you really want/need to go that way, and you know the rpm
will only be installed from the commandline where the scripts can prompt
for input, then you can just use 'mysql -u root -p' and mysql itself
will prompt for the password. Easier, and safer (since a password given
on the commandline may show up in ps output so other users on the system
can see it, unless mysql does a good job of cleaning up its commandline,
I never checked on that).

Waht I usually prefer in rpms I make for internal use is that these
post-install scripts append a message to /etc/motd of tasks that still
need to be ryun by root, or checked (eg the case where the rpm install
is actually an upgrade and no database needs to be created)

David Jansen