Missing define?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Dec 22 06:06:08 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Other ways to get the archetecture are 'arch' or 'uname -m'.  I'm
>> sure there are plenty of others.
>
> But, do those really tell you the truth about the HW....or just what
> version/type of OS you have loaded?

Good point Ed.  You got me.  I don't really know.  A really quick look
at the source for uname looks like it gets the info via sysctl, which
I would think would match what the kernel would store in
/proc/cpuinfo.  But I could easily be wrong in a multitude of ways.

> I prefer cat'ing cpuinfo since it tells me "Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU
> 2.80GHz" and I really know what processor is installed.

Oh you and your simple unix cat style... :-)

Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the
wit and wisdom to do their job properly.