Calling mplayer users

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 19:40:40 UTC 2006

Feeling fed-up with xine being broken since the updates, and not really having
time to bother fixing it at the moment I decided to try mplayer.  I use xine
mainly for checking my home-made recordings, so the tools I most need are the
ability to step through the chapters and take a snapshot of the title screen
for use on the case.  I can't manage to do either of these on mplayer, and
wonder whether it is the app or my ineptitude.

Stepping through seems to take me just 10 seconds along the time-line - rather
slow for a long production.  I have 5-minute-ish chapters made, and want to
jump along them.  I can't find any snapshot tool, and using ksnapshot seems
to result in either a blank blue screen or a jig-saw series of part-screens,
overwriting previously saved unrelated pngs.  I've never seen behaviour like
this before.  Outside of mplayer ksnapshot behaves perfectly.

I guess I'll have to fix xine tomorrow - but is mplayer really so lame?

Anne