bind gets confused after a reboot

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 24 16:29:25 UTC 2006

I've had this minor annoyance for a while.  After a reboot, bind (which is
running in a chroot jail) does not seem to come up cleanly after a reboot.
It responds to queries for its master zones, but does not respond to any
recursive query.  I have to stop it and start it again, and then it's fine.
This only happens when I reboot.

I used to think that the network card simply hasn't finished initializing
itself when bind starts up, so it just drops all recursive queries, on the
floor, until it decides to try the root servers again.  So, I put in a
script to ping my router, and it runs just before named.

I can see that the script ran and succesfully pinged the router one second
before named started, but it still refused to respond to recursive queries,
until I restarted it again.  This is a headless box, and the annoyance
factor hasn't reached the point where I'd get motivated to start tearing
everything apart.

Anyone seen this behavior from bind, before?  There's nothing in
/var/log/messages from named that indicates any explicit error.