Blocking Spam

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 26 22:02:35 UTC 2006

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>

> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 09:08 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
>> Also, I'd strongly recommend training SA's Bayesian analysis, using
>> the sa-learn program. SpamAssassin won't use Bayesian analysis until
>> it has learnt 200 good ("ham") e-mails and 200 spams.
>
> Isn't that supposed to be the point of the junk/not-junk buttons on mail
> clients?

In general those are put there by spammers who are hopping you'll push
the wrong button. {O,o}

Actually what it does and how it works with YOUR usage probably depend
on your "global" versus "per user" Bayes files, scores, and rules.

>> Bayesian analysis continues to be a *very* good way of analysing
>> e-mail, in my experience.
>
> Back when I was still using Windows, I used to use the in-built one that
> came with The Bat! mail client.  It seemed to do a reasonable job, and
> it was damn quick (unlike the speed of any kind of mail filtering in
> Evolution).  Though, before that, I'd knocked most spam off, without any
> false positives, with about 12 mail rules.

Quick - maybe. But Bayesian analysis without rules is like a bicycle with
only one pedal.

{^_^}