gthumb on FC6 not seeing jpeg files

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Dec 29 16:21:10 UTC 2006

Tom Freeman wrote:

> I'm baffled on how to trouble shoot this one. I have a machine running
> FC6 with the 2.6.18-1.2798 kernel and gthumb-2.7.8-3. When called from
> the command line as a viewer, gthumb will happily display my jpeg
> files. However, used as a browser like I usually use gthumb, no jpeg
> files are found, although gif files are. I'm not finding any error
> messages either in the log files, nor when running gthumb from the
> command line. Turning selinux on or off doesn't seem to matter.
> Nautilus does see the files.
>
> Any ideas on what is going on here? I've got a new granddaughter who
> lives out of state, so pictures are the only contact at the moment.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list at redhat.com

Just for grins and giggles, rename one of the files from <file>.jpeg to
<file>.jpg and then check if gthumb sees it.

gthumb seems to have  problems with the 4 letter extension.  This is a bug.

I think that the author of gthumb might have gone to file extension
definitions instead of the more reliable 'file type' tests.