donated computers lab setup

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Sun Dec 31 21:47:40 UTC 2006

Guillermo Garron wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Norm <maillist at sios.ca> wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:
>> MUD.
>> sorted
>> blind

>> barely
>> when

>> disadvantaged
>> >
>> > Well here's one of huge magnitude that needs Linux users to reclaim
>> Open
>> > Source ground that Windows and Mac users have grabbed a hold of.
>> >
>> > http://www.croquetcollaborative.org
>> >
>> > Yeah, I'm gonna pang on this one until we get some interest started.
>> >
>> > People like Alan Kay are directing this project and if we snooze we
>> > lose. The project is completely Open Source, but from the people I
>> am in
>> > contact with, there is for all intensive purposes very little
>> > participation shown by the Linux Community. We leave it to the Win /
>> Mac
>> > crowd, someone will paste a "For Sale" sign on parts of it or patent
>> > Virtual Reality and then the crying towel gets tossed into the ring.
>> > And, it'll be our own damn fault.
>> >
>> > This is bigger than spreadsheets and databases ever thought of being.
>> > IMHO, it's the next Big Thing that can issue in the New Era. The dnload
>> > is supposed to work with Linux, Windows and OS-X. Guess which part is
>> > the buggiest? First introduced under Linux, it can't find openGL
>> > libraries out of the box.
>> >
>> > I'd REALLY like to see the Fedora Foundation and RH take this one under
>> > their wing as Alan Kay is also part of the $100 one-laptop-per-child
>> > project, as is RH and MIT. I'm using it for my OAR project to reduce
>> the
>> > recidivism rate among the 2.7 million incarcerated in the US. As
>> much as
>> > I cut up, I'm stone cold serious on this one. I want to put RH or
>> Fedora
>> > on the servers with everything running as it should, and I'm no
>> coder by
>> > any stretch of the imagination. I want to get Linux into public
>> > institutions, in this effort, before Bill Gates sees 2.7 million
>> > licenses. Ca! Ching!
>> >
>> > Please dnload it and check it out. See if you can figure out why it
>> > doesn't grok localhost, running a server and a client app on the same
>> > machine. I can't. It's beating my ass here. They don't connect and I
>> > think they should be able to, without having to have another machine on
>> > a local network. I hope some of you gifted ones can eyeball this thing
>> > and participate in the project.
>> >
>> > Thanx for any considerations, Ric
>> Ric
>> Years ago Mac almost became the OS of choice after they started giving
>> few equipment to schools.  Most people will prefer to stay with the OS
>> the first learn on.  The Linux community is no where near as cohesive as
>> a single company like Apple or Microsoft can be.  This does not mean we
> [...]
Guillermo.
Good to see that you are doing your part.  I don't have any recycled PC
available at this time and none "promised".  If I acquire  several
(enough to make shipping them worth while) are you in a position to
distribute them?
Recently I found a well written howto on SSL certificates at
http://www.eclectica.ca/howto/ssl-cert-howto.php, He does have a Spanish
version on line already but it may be a good quick add to your site.