[OT] Re: installing kernel.org kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 1 08:10:47 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 02:28, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 07:54 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>  Somebody really, seriously, needs to give that thing some of
>> the Good Gulf, its not running worth a toot on this economy grade 87
>> octane stuff. :)
>
>Remember Blue Sunoco? THAT was gasoline! <g> Ric

ISTR I do, seems we put some in a 50 Olds one day at Cordova, IL. and got
an extra 4 mph out of it.  But the fuel pump was toast & it was vapor
locking and a motor mount was broke so we were nibbling on the fan shroud
pretty heavily, so we pulled it from the AATA nationals after hitting 78
mph & 16.78 secs.  Then we sat in the stands and watched s 1937 Buick 320
cid straight 8 take the 4 foot high trophy home with a 66 mph run in 18
something seconds.  We cried in our collective beer all the way home to
Iowa City that night.

But it was fun too. We watched the top fuel folks play and raise the
record to 166 mph in the dark after the guys from Speed-Sport Automotive
in Tuscon AZ blew the hemi in their t-bucket coupe while picking off Don
Garlits, backed the pickup into the pits and built a new one out of boxes
in the back of the pickup and had it running in 2hrs:21minutes.  It
raised the 1/4 mile record 6 mph and pulled .3 seconds off the time on
its maiden run with all of us sitting alongside the track with our
headlights on cause Cordova didn't have any night lighting.  They beat a
then young Don Garlits in the afternoon and Emery Cook that night.
Easily.  Late 1950's, drag racing was still fun then.

The Arfons boys from Ackron, OH. had 3 of their Green Monsters there that
day, interesting to watch them burn up the track, spinning like crazy the
first 2/3rds of the track in 8.5 seconds or so, finally getting those
truck tires warm enough to hook up and making it from 80 mph to 145 or
so, litterally in the last 200 feet and about 1.1 seconds.  The scream of
rubber when they finally hooked up was unbelievable. completely drowning
out the noise of the supercharged rolls-royce/allison 1710 cid aircraft
v12's they were using for power.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)