Fedora Core Version to install...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 1 11:16:57 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 18:45, Rob Andrews wrote:
>> On 29-Nov-2006 17:14.13 (GMT), James Kosin wrote:
>>> Fedora Core is basically the TESTBED of the future of RedHat
>>> technology.  If you wanted safe/stable/etc get RHEL
>>> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/
>> One wonders how many times people have to say "FEDORA IS NOT A TESTBED
>> FOR RHEL" before people stop saying that it is.
>>
> Maybe that is because that *is* what it is?  Its also bug finder par
> excellent.  By the time we've beat on something for 6 months to a year,
> there is a lot better feel for what the user wants, so in addition to the
> blatant bug & security fixes we get, RHEL gets the feature enhancements
> we wanted too but rarely get.  Feature enhancements are always "for the
> next release" it seems.

This is completely wrong. Feature enhancements almost always reach
Fedora first. RHEL on the other hand is far more conservative. The
general trend there is to only backport major bug fixes and other
security fixes and not add features.

> Please don't take me as an ungrateful wretch, I'm well aware that what we
> expected from any distro was responsive support, but that for RH to be a
> viable business, that sort of support must be sold rather than given
> away.  And that to protect that support contract sale, a line must be
> drawn that occasionally seems pretty arbitrary.

Yes, support and services and not just the software bits.

Rahul