Samba Problem - Almost there

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Fri Dec 1 13:47:28 UTC 2006

> then the only thing that I can think of is that a Windows FAT partition mounts as a particular user and if you are trying to share it with 'samba' - the issue is that there might be a conflict between the user trying to use it and and the 'local' user who has the mount.
>
> bear in mind that POSIX attributes are not available on a FAT volume mount and I have to wonder if something isn't being logged somewhere, either in /var/log/messages or /var/log/samba/smbd.log or /var/log/samba/log.smbd that provides a clue.
>
> I can't say that I've ever tried to share a VFAT or NTFS volume via samba before and I don't know the consequences of that.

Actually, it got a little curiouser (to borrow from Lewis Carrol). To
get a required task to run, I created a symlink from the ext3 partition
that I'm having no problem connecting to to the windows partition. Going
through that symlink, I have no problem accessing the files in the vfat
partition. I believe this pretty much rules out a permissions problem in
the Linux setup. There could be a permissions issue in the *SAMBA*
setup, but Linux doesn't have any problem with that remote user using
the files in vfat.