Upgrade to FC6 question.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Dec 1 15:09:01 UTC 2006

Terry Snyder wrote:
> I just did an upgrade for FC6 from FC5 and I noticed that it
> installed the kernel and not the kernel-smp for the current kernel.
> I have an Intel Core Duo processor and in FC5 I was using the smp
> kernel.  I looked at the package manager and didn't see any smp
> kernels or kernel modules for the i686 kernels.  Does the new kernel
> handle the smp features or where can I get the smp kernel and all of
> the modules for it?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You might have missed the following text in the release notes[1]:

    Default Kernel Provides SMP

    There is no separate SMP kernel available for Fedora Core 6 on
    i386, x86_64 and ppc64. Multiprocessor support is provided by the
    native kernel.

[1] http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc6/en_US/sn-Kernel.html

It is easier to destroy an atomic nucleus than a prejudice.
     -- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)