Mom! K3b and yum are not sharing their toys again!!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 18:16:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 09:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 03:29 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > rpm -e k3b-devel
> > >
> > > then try again will probably help -- you only need it if you are
> > > compiling something to work with k3b.
> >
> > Well, trouble-shooting with a shotgun again, trying to find that
> > K3bSetup program, which I had hoped resided in k3b-devel. So, I did
> > that. erased the K3b package completely, begged, pleaded, and kiss yum's
> > butt to install kK3b* to give me everything it had... show me what
> > you're workin' with time.
> >
> > K3b-devel is there, it just doesn't like something about the K3b package
> > and refuses to install, so yum pouts about it and shuts down having done
> > nothing at all. I did a google and others are also looking for the
> > package that the K3b error message says will fix everything. This was
> > one of my rants with FC5. On install, everything is /dev/sda for my DvD
> > and /dev/sdb for a 200 gig HD. NOW it's magically /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
> > although /dev/hda1 is supposed to be the boot partition. <bangs head on
> > keyboard> Xine does the same thing. Burps an error message, Can't find
> > Medium or something to that effect, but when I click on "DvD" it plays
> > the movie.
> >
> > As David Byrne of the Talking Heads would wail, "How did I get here?"
> > <chorus: "...water flowing under ground." "Into the pool again!" Which I
> > believe is a reference to re-incarnation and finding yourself right on
> > your back again in the dung heap. <--- I cleaned that up for Polite
> > Society.
> >
> > So, can relate to that, same ole same ole. Shoot me and I'll just be
> > back again, still bitching about /dev/sda like I had good sense, and
> > marrying the last three all over again. <sigh> I need some BBQ brisket.
> > Comfort food. Ric
> ----
> how was the bbq brisket?
<blubbers> WHAT brisket?? I'm in Nawth Carolanky <sobs>

> what repositories do you have configured? I don't see a k3b-devel
> package in core/extras/livna
>
> # yum search k3b-devel
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> No Matches found
>
> but I am using FC-6 and I might be wrong in assuming that you are too.
Ah... I'm running (or it's running ME) FC6
Well, the darn thing sure went through a pile of defecating with
dependencies saying it couldn't be installed as opposed to some NO-OP
message that it didn't exist at all. <bangs head on keyboard>  ... and
K3b keeps telling me I need K3bSetup, which I ain't got. I dug further
into it... (kill me now) and I have two devices, a writer device which
seems to be "correct" as it will only accept /dev/hda and not /dev/sda.
I can put the Dvd in the drive, it's mounted automagically, K3b finds it
and the files that I want to copy. I also note that the other device,
which has no configuration, is "Read-Only device". I tried configuring
it, no go. So, I assume (shudders) that the Writer Drive is sufficent???
I created a directory /opt/k3b and chowned it root:user and chmod 777 so
the damn thing had PLENTY of permissions. So, I click on the file to
copy and get  "K3b could not mount <>. Please run K3bSetup."

df reports: /dev/hda               8188654   8188654         0
100% /media/FIGHTING_TEMPTATIONS_169
... so it's mounted. Wassup? Ric