Opening .dar files?

Dave M DaveM at Mich.Com
Fri Dec 1 20:35:09 UTC 2006

I am considering using Dar or KDar (and growisofs) on my desktop system to
do automated archival backups to DVD+RW media. Some questions:

What (if any) are the advantages of using Dar over Tar?

Are there any other programs (Linux-OSS and/or Windows) that can open .dar
file sets?

How stable is the .dar file format? Is it likely to be around for the
foreseeable future?

How well does Dar cope with media defects/file corruption? How much do I
loose if I loose one slice of my backup set? Can the rest of the set still
be restored without the corrupted slice?

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

Inter-networked computers give you freedom.
The "Trusted Computing Platform" could take that freedom away.
http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php