Bad DVD or bad ISO?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Dec 1 21:02:51 UTC 2006

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I had some problems with my first attempt to install Fedora 6.
> Thankfully I was able to exit the installation process and still boot
> to Debian.
>
> I'd like to try again with Fedora, but now that I've been part way
> trough the install I've got a couple of questions.
>
> The installer reported a bad DVD. Does this mean that there is a
> problem with the physical disc, or that the ISO image itself is messed
> up? I saved the ISO file on my other computer and I can burn another
> DVD with it if I need to. Is there a way to find out if the ISO is a
> fault. If it is I'll have to try downloading it again.
>
> Also, when moving through the installation process it didn't seem that
> Fedora recognized my Debian system when it came time to configure
> Grub. I accepted the default configuration for Grub, because I
> couldn't find a way to add the Debian as one of the bootloader
> options.

At the grub setup, you should see the Fedora install in a window, with a
big ADD button next to it. Then add the partition with the bootloader.
NOTE: if you put grub in the MBR with debian you probably have to
install it in the partition.

I added a drive for FC6 and added the partition on hda where /boot
lives. Then when I boot I have a menu for FC6 or hda/boot, and when I
select that I get the grub menu for my FC4 boot (seven kernels in
various states of patchedness). Relatively easy, although I never did it
in text mode, I'm reporting my default install.

I'm told that the same hold true for having FC6 on a USB drive... Have
NOT tried that one, although I might, I have a reason to at least try it.

> However, it appears that Grub didn't overwrite my MBR entries for
> Debian, becuase after I bailed on the Fedora install Grub loaded
> Debian with no problems. Did I miss something during the install, or
> should Fedora have notified me that it saw Debian when it was
> configuring Grub?

Fedora will not notify you, but you can still add "other operating
systems" by partition.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a