printer support problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 1 21:11:59 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 13:27, Tim Waugh wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 12:16 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But I fail to see why a very important report tool, such as mtink or
>> escputil, was totally omitted from the distribution
>
>We ship escputil in the gimp-print-utils package, and hp-levels (and the
>graphical hp-toolbox) in the hplip package.

Humm, gimp-print is no longer installed, its gutenprint now due to the
highly enhanced epson ppd and optimizations.  I got the gutenprint
install after you (the fedora packagers) had added something that was
missing, and which force gimp-print to still be installed and used as the
default renderer.

>From this, it sounds like escputil was also excluded from the gutenprint
package too, which is supposed to be a total replacement for gimp-print.

Can this be addressed for us epson users?  Please?  Pretty please??

>I think there has been some talk on the hal mailing list about getting
>information about ink levels in a hardware-independent way, but I
>haven't seen any decisions about that.

With everybody having their own protocol, I have doubts this is doable in
a hardware independent way.  Maybe one util that contains all known
protocols, but with each new model that hits the shelves have some
variation on that theme, at about 1000 new models a year, all I can see
is a maintainance nightmare the likes of which you've never imagined.
Its a project that unless you can convince all the makers to use a common
protocol, I wouldn't touch that idea with a 50 foot pole even if I was 35
years younger.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)