Can't Gedit anymore : Solved

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:37:32 UTC 2006

George Hare wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I used to su gedit all the time  to make any changes to files that
> required me to be root. I used to get this warning also
>
> (gedit:3880): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> but it would still work. Now it stopped working. Gedit just freezes. I
> have done many things since last use, so I would not have a clue how
> to fix this. I am using Fedora6  64bit. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated  (exept for , "use vi").
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> George Hare

Just change your command line a bit.

sudo gedit file.name

You are dealing with permissions to open windows on your X windows
display.  The root account does not, and should not, have permissions to
open a window on your display.

sudo is your friend.  Logs of super user activity can be priceless. :)

Thanks for the fix Phil

--
G. Hare