FC5 video devices on boot

Roger Heflin rheflin at atipa.com
Fri Dec 1 23:10:05 UTC 2006

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jim Duda wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to FC5.  I'm finding that each time I boot, my
>> video devices come up in a
>> random order, which is painful.
>>
>> I have entries in /etc/modprobe.conf.  I thought this was how devices
>> are mapped to drivers.
>>
>> alias char-major-81-* videodev
>> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>> alias char-major-81-1 bttv
>> alias char-major-81-2 cx8800
>>
>> However, since upgrading to FC5, this doesn't appear to work anymore.
>>
>> Is this a modules.conf thing or a udev thing?
>>
>> How can I make my video devices order boot up the same each time?
>>
> I don't think you need to... The problem is to get udev to give the same
> name to the same device every time, isn't it? I can't tell you how to do
> that, but I'm sure it can be done. And someone will say "you don't know
> how to do that?" and tell you ;-)

Most of the video modules that I have used have options on the
module load that you can put in modprobe.conf to specify which
/dev/video[012345] device that you want it to use.

do "modinfo modulename" and it will give you a list of options,
it may allow you to specify the video device that you want it
to assign that to.  The option is usually something like
video_nr default is use next available.

I believe the alias tells modprobe to load that device if someone
uses that other name, it does not tell the module to use
any specific device.

I know I have forced one web cam to be video5 and another to be
video0 and anther to be video1 on the same machine, and they do
seem to stick, but it requires using the module specific options
for each device.

                            Roger