Interference between sound card and webcam

fabrizio gennari fabrizio.ge at tiscali.it
Sat Dec 2 09:24:59 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I have  a PC with Fedora Core 6, and the on-board VIA 8235 sound chip
is detected by ALSA.

I tried connecting a Microsoft LiveCam USB webcam with built-in
microphone (ID 045e:00f7) to the USB port and boot the PC. The webcam
is not detected by the Video4Linux subsystem, but this is not the worst
part. Now, the sound card does not work properly: every attempt of
opening /dev/dsp for writing fails with "Permission denied".

The kernel is the stock one (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6), there are alsa-lib-
1.0.12-2.fc6 and  alsa-utils-1.0.12-3.fc6. I could not find anything
suspect in dmesg's output.

What else should I try (apart from disconnecting the webcam and
rebooting)?

Regards,
Fabrizio

Naviga e telefona senza limiti con Tiscali
Scopri le promozioni Tiscali adsl: navighi e telefoni senza canone Telecom

http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/